Saturday, February 13, 2010

Barbie Birthday Cake

Being stuck inside for the blizzard of 2010 has brought a barrage of indoor activities for me and Lil. One thing that was a bit of a bummer...we had to postpone the birthday party and the "House of Bounce". This could be an entire entry within itself but I will wait until after the party this Monday. Jake and I tried to do something special since we knew it would be just us at our own personal party with 40+ inches of snow on the ground. I made a spaghetti dinner. Gammie had an amazing doll house shipped that Jake assembled the night before so it was ready and waiting for the big day.
Weeks before I had gotten the great idea to make a Barbie birthday cake. I saw one in the grocery store but figured...I can make that. So I googled and it came up with lots of suggestions. Pampered chef apparently has the perfect pan for such a cake and I had a co-worker that was going to loan me one but we missed a week (over a week?) of school due to snow. So, needless to say without the pan on hand,I had to improvise. Between blizzards (literally) Jake ran to the grocery store with every other person in the state of Virginia and got all the ingredients for the spaghetti dinner and the Barbie cake--including the Barbie.

The night prior to the party I made the cakes. I made one 9 inch round vanilla and one dome shaped strawberry. I used a Pyrex bowl since I did not have the pan. After these had baked and cooled I stacked the dome on top of the round and measured to see how high they would measure up to Barbie. It only came up to her thigh!! Barbie is one tall broad. I had to make another round and decided on chocolate so we could have a Neapolitan flavor cake. I love Jake--guys are just a hoot sometimes. He said "awww you don't need another round...just add more frosting. ha ha ha. Well I made the other round and let it cool. On the birthday--I stacked all three cakes and shaved it to a perfect bell skirt shape. I felt like the freakin' "Cake Boss or Ace of Cakes". I would frost and decorate during naptime which means my time was limited--an hour at best. Since I had shaved the cake I had an issue with crumbs mixing into the frosting but I have to say it was fun. I piped on decorative pink frosting and used some candy and sprinkles as skirt decorations. The end result was a bit juvenile but hey...good entertainment for me. Next time, (if ever there is one)I would have more of a plan for the skirt--a design layout if you will. Ha ha. The good news is that the goose was thrilled which in turn makes me happy. Although I do have to add--she liked playing with the barbie the best.

1 comment:

  1. Jackie,

    It's ADORABLE and I know it would be a huge hit in my house : ) I still remember the barbie cake my mom made when I was a little girl and I copped out and bought one at the store for E's 4th birthday -- although in my defense I did have a two week old baby that year! : )
    Glad you survived the blizzard - it's been just nuts here and I'm totally improvising our birthday party preparations as well!
    xoxo MaryLea

    ReplyDelete